Highlights is a 30 minute weekly TV show featuring organizations, events, grass-roots efforts and people who move our state and community forward in a positive way.
The show is a collaboration with Kanawha County Schools, Suddenlink Communications and Jim Strawn & Company.
Highlights airs daily at 8:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. on Suddenlink’s channel 17.
The show airing February 7, 2022 – February 14, 2022 highlights West Virginia State University.
We interviewed Interim President, Ericke Cage. He was named COO in July of 2021 and the Interim President in September of ’21.
He discussed his WVSU Forward Program that focuses on 4 areas: Operations, People, Big Ideas and Engagement.
He also touched on a few significant milestones since Autumn of 2021.
- Largest first-year class since 2017
- Welcomed a large crowd back to campus for our first Homecoming since 2019
- Announcement and subsequent dedication of artificial turf and lights at Lakin-Ray Field
- University is seeking grant funding to launch a cybersecurity program
- Began work to launch the university’s first doctorate program
We learned he is a former lobbyist in Washington DC, serving as an advocate for education. Cage is active with the WV State Legislature, regularly meeting with lawmakers and attending committee hearings that could impact higher education.
WV State University’s legislative priorities this year are:
- 100% percent state match for federal land-grant funds
- Support the higher education funding formula
- Permanent funding for the Healthy Grandfamilies program
Cage discussed the university’s 26 undergraduate degrees, including emerging fields such as nursing, engineering, computer science and other STEM fields. Nursing launched last fall.
The WVSU Extension Service is active in all 55 counties of West Virginia through programs such as Healthy Grandfamilies, which serves grandparents who are raising their grandchildren.
The university has more than 30,000 alumni, including 10,000 in West Virginia and 8,000 here in the Kanawha Valley.
If you would like to reach WV State University with any questions, their main number is 304-766-3000.
If you would like to learn more about the Highlights TV Show, contact Host and Executive Producer Jim Strawn at 304-541-4756.