Highlights is a 30 minute weekly TV show featuring organizations, events, grass-roots efforts and people who move our state and community forward in a positive way.
The show is a collaboration with Kanawha County Schools, Suddenlink Communications and Jim Strawn & Company.
The show airs daily at 8:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. on Suddenlink’s channel 17.
The show airing April 15, 2019 – April 22, 2019 ‘highlights’ the WV Breast Health Initiative and the Union Mission.
We interviewed Rachel Lester, Board Member with WVBHI and survivior of breast cancer.
Rachel discussed the mission and purpose of the WV Breast Health Initiative. They are a new organization with an ongoing mission to increase breast cancer awareness and prevention across West Virginia, our great state.
The West Virginia Breast Health Initiative, Inc. (WVBHI) builds on previous efforts in West Virginia to raise awareness and educate West Virginians about breast cancer. Emphasis will be on increasing breast health education, financially assisting breast cancer screenings, facilitating patient navigation, and promoting survivor recognition. One hundred percent of funds raised through WVBHI will remain in West Virginia and will continue grants with existing health partner programs.
The Race for the Ribbon is set for May 4, 2019 at the WV State Capitol Complex with registration at 8:00 and the race at 9:00 a.m.
All monies raised, stay in WV to support the following services:
- Provide support for early detection breast cancer screening tests (clinical breast exams, and mammography)
- Provide financial based needs assistance to those suffering from breast cancer and their families. (Delvia is example below).
- Provide community outreach education programs to local area schools in an effort to educate youth on topics such as breast cancer detection and breast health
- Provide immediate phone support and education to those diagnosed with breast cancer on topics such as insurance coverage (Zena is example below)
- Provide grants for rural community health clinics and hospitals to assist in areas such as early detection breast cancer screening tests
Call 304-556-4808 for more information.
We also interviewed Jason Quintrell, President & CEO of Union Mission of WV. Jason discussed what the Union Mission is all about.
Since 1911, Union Mission has been a ready, active hand of help to the needy of West Virginia. Their mission is “helping hurting people in Jesus’ name,” and as such, we unabashedly share the gospel of Jesus Christ even as we minister to the physical needs of the downtrodden. They have seen God work in amazing ways through our various ministries to improve lives and draw people closer to Him. All over our state, the Union Mission has gained a reputation of being there for those who have nowhere to turn.
Union Mission’s scope of ministry is wide but largely consolidated into five areas: Men’s Shelter, Addiction Recovery Program, Family Services, Sustainable Agriculture Program, Vocational Advancement Program
They just had a very successful Food Drive with the Bigley Piggly Wiggly on April 11, 2019.
Now they are planning for their 4th Annual Women on a Mission Luncheon set for May 9, 2019 from noon to 1:30 at the Embassy Suites in Charleston, WV. At the event, five extraordinary women will be honored as they celebrate “The Gift of Giving” at this annual luncheon..
A woman on a mission is:
• One who is community minded
• One who passionately serves others
• One with a vision
• One who stands out from her peers
• One who has excelled in selfless service
• One who seeks the good and well being of others
• One who has strength of character
• One who demonstrates kindness
Recipients to be honored at the 2019 Women On A Mission luncheon are:
- Jamie Tridico
- Betty Stern
- Janice Arthur
- Barb Horswell
- Amanda Easter
Please join them as we celebrate “The Gift of Giving”. Tickets are $50 each and can be purchased by contacting Lana McVey at 304.925.0366 ext. 142 or click here to buy online. Ticket purchase deadline is May 1st. Proceeds will support the work of Union Mission Ministries.
Congratulations to the honorees for their devoted service to helping others!
If you would like to learn more about the Highlights TV Show, contact Host and Executive Producer Jim Strawn at 304-541-4756.